Beef and Broccoli
- Sea salt
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons high-temperature cooking oil, such as peanut oil
- 1 onion, quartered lengthwise and then sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and then sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chile Paste, plus remainder to pass at table, recipe follows
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 4 Southern Italian-Style Short Ribs, shredded, recipe follows
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, jasmine rice or brown rice
- Zest of 1 lime, plus lime wedges for serving
- Shredded scallions and chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
Bring a couple inches of water to a boil in a saucepan and add some salt. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry.
Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet with a rounded bottom over high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Chile Paste, garlic and ginger, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the sherry. Dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of the stock, then add it to the skillet along with the remaining stock. Stir to thicken a minute, then add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, broccoli rabe and short ribs. Cook until heated through. (If not serving the stir-fry immediately, cool and then store it in the refrigerator. Reheat over medium heat with a splash of water to loosen it up.)
Before serving, cook the rice according to the package instructions. Add the lime zest.
Serve the beef stir-fry over the rice, with lime wedges on the side. Garnish with the scallions and cilantro.