Crispy Duck Salad with Bitter Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds packaged duck breast -- ask at your meat counter -- if the market does not carry duck breast year round, it can usually be ordered for you
- 1 sack mixed baby greens
- 1 head frissee greens -- look for very lightly colored frissee
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- eyeball it
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Score fat and skin on duck breasts. Place duck breast skin side down in a large cold skillet with a heat safe handle. Put skillet on stove and turn burner on to moderate heat. Cook breasts 5 to 8 minutes, turning once the skin crisps and most of the fat is rendered. Place the skillet in the oven and cook another 9 to 12 minutes. Meat should be pink at center.
Arrange greens on individual plates or 1 large platter. Arrange frissee and scallions on bed of baby greens.
Slice duck breast and serve 6 to 8 ounces per person, arranging the sliced duck on the salad. Grilled or sauteed chicken or pork is delicious with this dressing as well. Pour dressing evenly over duck and salad.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse