- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds packaged duck breast -- ask at your meat counter -- if the market does not carry duck breast year round, it can usually be ordered for you
- 1 sack mixed baby greens
- 1 head frissee greens -- look for very lightly colored frissee
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- eyeball it
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Score fat and skin on duck breasts. Place duck breast skin side down in a large cold skillet with a heat safe handle. Put skillet on stove and turn burner on to moderate heat. Cook breasts 5 to 8 minutes, turning once the skin crisps and most of the fat is rendered. Place the skillet in the oven and cook another 9 to 12 minutes. Meat should be pink at center.
Arrange greens on individual plates or 1 large platter. Arrange frissee and scallions on bed of baby greens.
Slice duck breast and serve 6 to 8 ounces per person, arranging the sliced duck on the salad. Grilled or sauteed chicken or pork is delicious with this dressing as well. Pour dressing evenly over duck and salad.