Dark Greens with Cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 medium bundles red Swiss chard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup turkey or chicken stock
Soak berries in red wine.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and crisp 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion, garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes to soften. Add red chard and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Season greens with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in cranberries and wine. Cook for 1 minute then add in stock and simmer a few minutes to combine flavors.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray, 2008