Indian Lamb Burgers with Green Raita Sauce and Red Onions
- Green Sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- A handful cilantro leaves
- A handful mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated or mashed into paste
- Pinch salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 (1/2-inch thick) slices small red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 red or green chile, finely chopped
- 1 -inch piece ginger, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked sweet or sweet paprika, granulated onion or onion powder*
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Baby spinach leaves
- 8 soft potato rolls or slider rolls (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
Put all of the ingredients for the sauce in food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a small serving dish and reserve.
Put the red onion rings in a small bowl and separate the rings. Add the lime juice and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the lamb to a mixing bowl along with the garlic, chile, ginger, spices, cinnamon, and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix to combine. Form the meat mixture into 4 sections and make 2 slider-size patties form each portion, 8 (3-ounce) burgers in total, thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.
Heat a large skillet or a griddle pan with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook a few minutes on each side.
Put a few leaves of spinach on each of the bun bottoms and add the burger. Top with the onions and green sauce. Cover with the bun tops and serve.