Indian Lamb Burgers with Green Raita Sauce and Red Onions
- Green Sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- A handful cilantro leaves
- A handful mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated or mashed into paste
- Pinch salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 (1/2-inch thick) slices small red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 red or green chile, finely chopped
- 1 -inch piece ginger, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked sweet or sweet paprika, granulated onion or onion powder*
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Baby spinach leaves
- 8 soft potato rolls or slider rolls (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
Put all of the ingredients for the sauce in food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a small serving dish and reserve.
Put the red onion rings in a small bowl and separate the rings. Add the lime juice and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the lamb to a mixing bowl along with the garlic, chile, ginger, spices, cinnamon, and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix to combine. Form the meat mixture into 4 sections and make 2 slider-size patties form each portion, 8 (3-ounce) burgers in total, thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.
Heat a large skillet or a griddle pan with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook a few minutes on each side.
Put a few leaves of spinach on each of the bun bottoms and add the burger. Top with the onions and green sauce. Cover with the bun tops and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Vic "Vegas" Moea