Burgoo is a thick mixed meat and vegetable stew with a tangy taste. This burger and succotash combine the flavors and ingredients to make any burger night into Derby Day. The stew is served with a stiff biscuit that is replaced here by the sammy-sized English muffin.
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup chopped frozen okra
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled green beans plus 1 tablespoon pickling juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves, from about 5 to 6 sprigs
- 2 to 3 scallions, chopped
- 4 sandwich-sized English muffins, split and buttered
Mix the meat with paprika, garlic, Worcestershire, parsley, salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with a tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan. Form 4 large patties and make a indentation in the center of each burger to counteract the burger bulge that happens as the meat cooks. Cook burgers 6 minutes on each side, turning once.
Heat a small pot over medium heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it. Add onions and peppers, cook 8 to 10 minutes then add salt, pepper, vinegar and brown sugar. Stir 1 minute, add tomato sauce and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes.
Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan. Add limas, corn, okra, pickled beans, hot sauce, thyme, salt and pepper and cook to heat through 5 to 6 minutes. Toss in scallions and turn off heat.
Serve burgers on buttered toasted muffins with pepper and onion topping. Serve succotash alongside.