- 1 starchy potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Coarse salt
- Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Couple sprigs fresh thyme, leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (6-ounce) tubs fresh lump crabmeat, available at fresh seafood counter
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- 1 small head escarole, chopped
- 1 small head radicchio, chopped
- 1 endive, chopped
Cook potatoes in boiling water 6 to 7 minutes until tender, drain, scatter across a large flat surface to cool and dry, 5 minutes. Smash the garlic with salt to make a paste and add to potatoes along with thyme, parsley, lemon zest and crushed red pepper flakes. Feel through the crab as you add it to the potatoes to check for shells. Mix together to combine and form into 4 (4 to 5-inch) super sized, killer crab cakes.
Heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium to medium- high heat. Add the cakes and cook 5 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown.
Combine the roasted red peppers, shallot, sugar, the juice of 1/2 lemon and the red wine vinegar in a food processor. Stream in the remaining 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and form a dressing. Stop the processor and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Combine the greens in a salad bowl and dress them. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Serve crab cakes on a bed of salad.