Mustard and Brown Sugar BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- Kosher salt and lots of coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO, plus some for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup cloudy apple cider
- 1 cup beef stock
- About 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- About 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- About 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- One 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- Crumbled super sharp white Cheddar or Stilton blue cheese
- Celery Slaw, recipe follows
- 12 hamburger or sandwich rolls of choice
- Celery Slaw:
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley tops, coarsely chopped
- 8 ribs celery with leafy tops, very thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 large portabella mushroom, halved and gilled, very thinly sliced1 lemon, juiced
- Celery salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring the meat to room temperature, pat dry and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat with EVOO. Add the garlic and onions, season with salt and pepper and cook to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the ketchup, cider, beef stock, Worcestershire, brown sugar, Dijon and tomatoes. Simmer to begin to thicken and combine, 10 to 12 minutes more. Slide in the beef and cover with sauce. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat (or in a 300 degree F oven) about 3 hours, stirring occasionally on the stovetop.
Remove the meat and cut into small pieces or shred. Stir, and allow the sauce to thicken up over medium to medium-high heat. Add the beef back into the sauce and combine.
Serve with the cheese crumbles and Celery Slaw on rolls or cool and store for make-ahead meal.EVOO
Thank you! your flag was submitted.