Parmigiano and Herb-Fortified Stock
- 1 large rind trimmed from a hunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or a few small pieces rind perhaps saved-up
- Herb bundle of several sprigs each fresh thyme, parsley and rosemary, tied
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 ribs celery, sliced on angle
- 2 carrots, sliced on angle
- Peeled rind of 1 lemon
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 cups (3 quarts) water
- Roasted Tomatoes
- 24 ripe organic vine tomatoes or large plum tomatoes
- Several cloves garlic, crushed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
Place the cheese rind, herb bundle, onion, celery, carrots, lemon rind, bay leaves, chicken stock, and water into a pot and bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer at least 1 hour, and then remove the rind, herb bundle, and vegetables with a slotted spoon or strainer.
Heat the oven to 500 degrees F.
For the Roasted Tomatoes:
Arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet or baking sheets in a single layer. Scatter the garlic among the tomatoes, dress with extra-virgin olive oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes until they burst and skins split and begin to char, about 30 minutes. Cool the tomatoes until cool enough to handle and peel. Place the tomatoes in a bowl.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray