Road to Morocco Lamb with Pine Nut Couscous
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 rounded tablespoon grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, 2/3 palm full
- 2 teaspoons cumin, 2/3 palm full
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, 1/2 palm full
- 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/3 palm full
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, eyeball it in your palm
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, eyeball it in your palm
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 20 to 24 pitted dates, halved, about 1 cup
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, a generous palm full
- 2 cups couscous
- 4 scallions, chopped
Place lamb in a food storage bag. Combine the 7 spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle into the bag and seal bag. Shake and evenly coat the lamb pieces in the spices.
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, then the lamb. Sear the lamb and caramelize the meat all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes more. Add the dates and 2 cups of chicken stock to the pan and cover. Cook 7 to 8 minutes more to plump the dates and soften the onions. Remove cover and adjust seasonings.
During the last 5 minutes the lamb has to cook, melt butter and toast pine nuts. Add 2 cups stock and bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat, add couscous and cover pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Lamb Chops and Early Spring Salad and Mashed Garlic-Mint Peas-n-Potatoes, Lamb with Spinach and Garlicky Tahini Sauce, 'Night 'Night Curry: Roasted Lamb Curry with Garam Masala, Caraway and Apricots, Stew, Leg of Lamb Recipes, Lamb Stew Recipes, Chicken Stew Recipes, Lamb, Beef Stew Recipes