- 1 pound beets
- 1 large shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or other good strong vinegar
- About 1 tablespoon minced parsley, dill, or chervil; or about 1 teaspoon minced rosemary or tarragon
Peel the beets and the shallot. Combine them in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and pulse carefully until the beets are shredded; do not puree. (Or grate the beets by hand and mince the shallots; combine.) Scrape into a bowl.
Toss with the salt, pepper, mustard, oil, and vinegar. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Toss in the herbs and serve.