Rigatoni with Italian Eggplant
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 12 min
- 12 min
- 1 hr
- 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups Italian eggplant, diced to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound dry rigatoni
- Grated Romano cheese, to finish
Heat olive oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook. Continue stirring until softened, about 3 more minutes.
Add tomatoes, with liquid, breaking them up with the back of spoon. Stir in wine, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Bring large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta until al dente; drain. Toss pasta with sauce in pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Serve on a large platter and top with grated Romano cheese.
Recipe courtesy Acqua Restaurant