Roast Kabocha Soup with Lemon Grass Cream
- 1 large kabocha squash, cut in 1/2, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon picked thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stalk lemon grass, thick end only, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 small Spanish onion, roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, white portion only, roughly chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock, heated
- Chives, cut in 1-inch sections, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Season inside of the kabocha with thyme, salt and pepper and rub with 4 tablespoons oil. Place onto a roasting pan flesh side up, and roast until caramelized and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
In a small saucepan combine the cream with the lemon grass and reduce by half. Strain into another small pan and hold warm.
In a medium pot over high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the carrots, onion and leek and cook until browned. Add the hot stock, reduce the heat to medium, and season, to taste.
When the squash is done, remove the cooked flesh from the squash and add to the pot. Transfer the contents of the pot, in batches, to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve into a second pot and reduce until desired consistency is achieved. Season, to taste.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Nathan Lyon
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell