- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups small-diced carrot
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 gallon canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 cups diced fresh tomato
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced or minced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat to the verge of smoking. Add the onion, celery and carrots, cooking until the onions have softened. Next, deglaze the pan with wine, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the canned and fresh tomatoes and the garlic, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
Next, add the basil, thyme, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste, reduce the heat to low and let simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes. Pulse with a hand-held immersion blender until semi-smooth, stirring throughout the process.
Recipe courtesy Robert Irvine's Eat! and Robert Irvine's Nosh