Star Anise-Rubbed Grilled Shrimp
- Rubbed shrimp:
- 9 star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon tobarashi (Japanese 7-spice)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds (16 to 20 size) shrimp, deveined
- Ponzu sauce:
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ginger juice from a jar of pickled ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
About 4 dozen bamboo skewers soaked in water to prevent burning on grillTo make the rub:
Pulverize star anise, coriander, parsley flakes, dried chives, tobarashi, garlic powder, and salt with a mortar and pestle, in a spice mill, or with a coffee grinder dedicated to spices. Coat shrimp with rub, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.For the Ponzu sauce:
Mix soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, lime juice, ginger juice, and chives and make sure brown sugar has dissolved. Add parsley and refrigerate.
Heat grill. Skewer shrimp and grill them until they are pink and just turn opaque. Place in a nonreactive container and cover with Ponzu sauce. Chill for 2 hours before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.