Dad's Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced, such as Granny Smith type apples)
- 2 (10-ounce) bags shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small potato, peeled and grated
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and apples and saute 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Add shredded cabbage, wine, water, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add grated potato and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, until mixture thickens and potato is tender, stirring frequently.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.