Screaming Crab Melts on Pumpernickel
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 4 to 8 slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 4-inch rounds (making 8 rounds total)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Pitted black olives, cut crosswise into rings
- Pimento pieces and strips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together cream cheese and heavy cream until smooth. Fold in crab, chives and horseradish. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Transfer mixture to a small baking dish and bake 10 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on 1 side of each pumpernickel round. Top with spinach leaves and crab mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan over top. Broil 2 minutes, until top is golden brown. Place 2 olive rings on the top of each crab melt and fill the center with a piece of pimento, making "eyes". Use another strip of pimento to make a circle for a "screaming mouth".
Recipe courtesy Robin Miller, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray