Blueberries with Orange Zest Shortcake
- 1 pound frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 1/3 cups complete box biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
For berries: In a small bowl, combine berries, sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Chill in refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
For shortcake: In a bowl, combine box biscuit mix, orange juice, sugar and butter until soft dough forms (the orange juice will substitute for water in the boxed biscuit mix directions). Using standard-size ice cream scoop, scoop dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
For topping: Stir orange extract into thawed non-dairy whipped topping. Do not overmix.
Split shortcakes and top with berries and topping mixture.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee