Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 whole store-bought roast chicken (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 container (7 ounces) chopped onions
- 6 cans (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 container (14 ounces) pre-cut carrot sticks, chopped
- 1 container (14 ounces) pre-cut celery sticks, chopped
- 1 roll (16.3 ounces) golden buttermilk biscuit dough
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed chicken gravy
Remove skin from chicken and shred meat into large pieces. Set aside.
In a small frying pan, add vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, add chopped onions and saute until soft.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, add broth, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, carrots, celery, and sauteed onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes to soften vegetables, and then add shredded chicken. Continue to simmer while making dumplings.
While stew is simmering, prepare dumplings. Open can and remove biscuits. On a lightly floured surface, roll each biscuit to 1/4-inch thick. With a knife, cut each biscuit into 4 pie-pieces. Set aside.
Skim surface for any scum that has risen to top. Stir in chicken gravy.
With the stew still simmering over low heat, stir in dumplings a few at a time. Once all dumplings are in to pot, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and serve piping hot.