- 1 1/2 pounds 80-percent lean ground beef
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 15-ounce can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 cup chopped onions
- One 15-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed
In a medium, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up any lumps, until the meat is just beginning to brown. Drain off any excess oil.
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic, cocoa powder, chili powder and cinnamon, and stir and cook for another minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth and vinegar, bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Reserve 1 cup for another use, such as Round 2 Recipe Chili Tostada.
To serve, divide the spaghetti among 4 bowls. Top with the chili and then add the cheese (3-way), onions (4-way) and beans (5-way).