Glazed Salmon with Dried Cherry Saffron Rice
- For Salmon:
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cherry preserves
- 4 salmon fillets, approximately 6 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon salt-free citrus herb seasoning (recommended: Spice Islands)
- Orange slices
- Toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
- Dried Cherry Saffron Rice:
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock (recommended: Swansons)
- 2 cups instant rice (recommended: Uncle Ben's)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons dried cherries
DirectionsDried Cherry Saffron Rice:
Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil and place in broiler.
In small saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine cranberry juice concentrate, cherry preserves, and balsamic vinegar. Simmer until preserves melt, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, season each salmon fillet with 1 teaspoon citrus herb seasoning. Remove the baking sheet from broil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place fillets skin side down on baking sheet. Broil for 6 minutes. Spoon glaze over each fillet, top each with an orange slice and broil for another 2 minutes.
Serve glazed salmon fillets hot garnished with almonds.For the rice:
Bring to a boil. Stir in cherries. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
Fluff with fork to distribute saffron and cherries. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica