Gum Worm Cupcakes
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups cola
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 cans ready-to-spread white frosting
- 20 drops yellow food coloring
- 10 drops red food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 48 candy worms
- 1/2 package chocolate cookies, crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place cupcake papers in muffin pans. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, cola, eggs, and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl often. Fill cupcake papers 2/3 full with cake batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on cooling racks before frosting.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine frosting, food colorings, orange extract and sifted powder sugar. Spoon frosting into a pastry bag or zip-top bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round decorating tip. Pipe the frosting on the cupcake by starting at the outside edge, circling twice and than working toward the center.
Finish cupcakes by sticking 2 candy worms into frosting and sprinkling tops with crushed cookies.
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee