Osso Buco Stew with Spicy Polenta
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds veal stew meat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (15-ounce) can chicken broth or stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 (8-ounce) package polenta
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon if you like it less spicy
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons butter
Put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the stew meat with salt and pepper, to taste, and dredge in the flour, shaking off any excess. Add the stew meat to the pan and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
To the sleeve of a 5 quart slow cooker add half of the chopped the vegetables and nestle half of the meat on top. Add the remaining vegetables, remaining meat, tomatoes, garlic, the broth from the pan, and the thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
About 5 minutes before the stew is ready, make the polenta according to package instructions. Add a pinch of salt and the red pepper flakes to the water before adding the polenta. Once the polenta has thickened remove from heat, stir in the cheese and butter and whisk until smooth.
To serve, put a big spoonful of polenta on each plate. Top with some of the stew and garnish with some fresh thyme leaves, if desired, (Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the stew for round 2 recipe Osso Buco Calzones)
Thank you! your flag was submitted.