Round 2 Recipe - Three Layer Bean Dip
- 3 pita pockets, each cut into 8 wedges
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- One 15-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons dressing, reserved from Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans, recipe follows
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup Tuscan Beans, reserved from Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans, recipe follows
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans:
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage or one 6-count package
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- One 15-ounce can red beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread the pita wedges on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until crispy, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely
In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and lemon zest and mix until smooth. Spread the cream cheese mixture into the bottom of a medium dip bowl.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the red beans, reserved dressing and a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and puree until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to thin. Spread the bean puree over the cream cheese mixture.Grilled Sausage with Tuscan Beans:
Preheat a grill over medium heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, Italian seasoning, reserved juice from the can of tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the dressing for the Round 2 Recipe Three Layer Bean Dip. Add the beans diced tomatoes, basil and toss to coat. Reserve 1 cup of the bean mixture for the Round 2 Recipe Three Layer Bean Dip. Serve the remaining beans with the grilled sausage.
Recipe copyright Sandra Lee, 2011