Seared Tuna Steak with White Bean and Tomato Salad
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (6-ounce) tuna steaks
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini or great Northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in 1/2
- 1 heirloom or plum tomato, for garnish
To make the steaks: Combine lemon zest, oil, salt, and pepper and marinate the steaks for 10 to 30 minutes (but no longer than 30 minutes or the fish will start to break down.)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a hot but not smoking pan, sear on each side for 2 minutes. Transfer the steaks to an ovenproof dish and finish in the oven for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and very gently fold the cherry tomatoes into the bean mixture, taking care not to break them.
To serve, thinly slice the heirloom or plum tomato and place 4 slices on each plate. Mound the salad in the middle and sprinkle with the remaining oil.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Reggie Southerland