Stewed Bacalo Served in Puerto Rican Canu
- 1 1/2 pounds salted cod
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ripe sweet plantains, peeled and sliced in 1/2 lengthwise making sure not to cut all the way through
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Cook cod in water until it becomes soft. Change the water at least 3 times to make sure that it is not too salty. In a pan saute onions, peppers, tomatoes and garlic and deglaze with the wine. Add tomato juice and cook for 15 minutes, then add the cod and heat thoroughly. Season with parsley, cilantro and crushed pepper. Add the eggs and mix in until it is thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Fry the plantains in preheated vegetable oil.
Place the plantains on a serving platter and fill in with bacalao.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.