- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 baguette, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium-sized black eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into 1/2-inch disks
- 2 Roma tomatoes, pulp removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pepperoncini peppers, diced, plus 2 tablespoons pickling juice
- 1/2 cup finely grated manchego cheese
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
Using 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, brush both sides of the baguette slices and grill until golden brown and lightly charred around the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and set aside. Using another 2 tablespoons olive oil, brush eggplant and onion and grill until lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove eggplant and onion from heat, season with salt, and set aside, on a cutting board, until cool enough to handle. Slice both into 1/2-inch cubes. Combine eggplant, onion, tomato, garlic, remaining tablespoon olive oil, black pepper, pepperoncini and pickling juice in a bowl. Toss to combine and check for seasoning, adding additional salt, if necessary. Assemble toasts on a serving platter and place a heaping spoonful of vegetable mixture on top of each. Sprinkle with cheese and serve. Yield: 6 appetizer servings
Thank you! your flag was submitted.