Kesra: Moroccan Bread:
- 1/4 cup plus 1 cup warm water (approximately 110 degrees)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Curly lettuce, for garnish
- 2 medium size eggplants
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 green tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces butter
Harissa-style Fresh Roasted Red Pepper Spread:
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 3 fresh small red chiles, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Kesra: In a small bowl of 1/4 cup warm water, stir in the yeast and sugar. Stir lightly until yeast begins to dissolve. Allow mixture to stand until it begins to bubble, about 10 minutes.
In a standing mixer bowl, put flour and 1/3 cup of cornmeal. Make a well in the center and add yeast mixture, salt, and melted butter. Knead the bread and gradually add remaining warm water until dough is smooth and elastic.
Sprinkle baking sheet with olive oil and then dust with cornmeal. Separate the dough into 2 balls of equal size and sprinkle sesame seeds evenly over the loaves and flatten into round circles. Cover the doughs with a clean towel and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prick the top of each dough with a fork all over. Bake for 10 minutes.
Lower heat to 375 degrees and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until crusty and golden brown.
For the Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch round slices and sprinkle with salt, let sit in colander for 10 minutes until bitter juices are extracted.
Rinse the slices, and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant slices until they are tender and a little crisp.
Mix flour and cornmeal and season with spices, to your taste. Coat each tomato slice with mixture and heat butter in heavy skillet (preferably cast iron). Add the tomatoes and cook until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
For the Harissa: Process all the ingredients in a food processor. Season, to taste, and reserve in a small bowl.