- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large box tempura batter mix
- 3 large bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed off
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Pour 1-inch vegetable oil into a large, deep skillet. Place over medium-high heat and heat to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the tempura batter according to package instructions. Dip the asparagus in the batter, place in the skillet and fry until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes. Fry in batches.
In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, mirin, ginger, lemon juice and scallions. Serve the asparagus with the dipping sauce on the side.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.