- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained of all brine
- 1 lemon, zested, then squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread (The dense, thinly sliced type that comes in a block)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
Stem and mince 3 tablespoons of dill, then reserve the remaining stems for garnish
In a food processor, blend cream cheese, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper, and minced dill, until smooth. If you don't have a processor, mince capers by hand, then use a fork to blend with the other ingredients.
Spread a 1/8-inch layer of cream cheese mixture over pumpernickel slices. Cover cream cheese mixture with a single layer of salmon. Double up where the salmon gets thin.
Using the longest, sharpest knife available, trim all 4 four edges, then slice into long triangles and round the top edges.
Select the best looking dill sprigs and bare the stems after 1 inch from dill top. Place canapes on a serving plate, then insert a 1-inch dill sprig "carrot top" in each canape between the salmon and the bread.