- 4 lemons
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 sheet gelatin
- 2 pounds fresh tuna
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons chiffonaded parsley
- 2 tablespoons chiffonaded chives
- 2 tablespoons chiffonaded chervil
- 2 tablespoons chiffonaded tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chiffonaded cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra, for plating
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dill seeds
For the Lemon Gelee: Cut the zest off of the lemons. In hot broth, add the zest, and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain the zest out of the broth. Add the gelatin to the broth and soak for a few minutes to dissolve. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until jelled.
Cut tuna into small dice with no sinew. Cut bread into small dice, same as the tuna, and soak tuna and bread in lemon juice. Peel eggs and crush with a fork. In a small bowl mix tuna, eggs, herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper. Keep refrigerated.
Blanch, peel, halve, and remove seeds from the tomato. Slice tomatoes.
Garnish plate with lemon gelee to one side of the plate. Lay one slice of tomato on the plate, and layer top with the tuna tartar. Add center slice of tomato, and add more tartar. Add remaining slice and tartar, and finish with a tomato slice. Sprinkle tomato with shallots, fennel, and dill seeds. Make a small pool of olive oil on the plate, and serve.