Twice Baked Olive Cookie with Lemon Custard
- Twice baked olive cookies:
- 6 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces butter, plus 3 ounces
- 1 pound 1 ounce flour
- 8 ounces almond powder
- 6 ounces small black olives
- Lemon Custard:
- 5 1/2 ounces lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces sugar
- 2 eggs
- 10 ounces butter
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make cookie combine 8 ounces butter and sugar in mixer and cream until smooth. Add flour and almond powder to butter and sugar mixture. The dough should not be smooth, but a sandy texture. Remove batter from bowl and roll out to 1/8-inch thick. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Let the sandy cookie completely cool. Place back in mixing bowl, and add remaining butter and olives until a paste is formed. Roll out dough, place on cookie sheet, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
While lemon mixture in cooking, whisk eggs in separate bowl. When lemon mixture has come to a boil temper with the eggs slowly, continuously whisking. This will prevent eggs from curdling. The mixture will thicken quickly. Once it is thick, remove from heat to avoid overcooking. Add remaining butter to lemon custard. Remove custard from pot into plastic container. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin to form, and refrigerate for 2 hours.