- 3/4 pound sweet rice (soaked overnight)
- 10 whole chestnuts, shelled, skinned
- 2 teaspoons chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons diced Chinese sausage
- 3 tablespoons diced prosciutto ham
- Dragon Eye Fruit or Langhan (1 package soaked overnight)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 10 pieces black tree ear mushroom (soak overnight in warm water)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- White pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Far Dill wine (or first press rice wine)
- Sugar, to taste
- Marinade for the Duck:
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 pound) duck, split down the back bone (leave drumstick bone in)
- Wine and herb mixture, for steaming, see below
- Wine and herb mixture, for steaming:
- 4 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 2 bulbs fresh garlic (skin off but broken, deep-fried until golden brown)
- 1/2 bottle rice wine
- 1/2 bottle Far Dill wine (or first press rice wine)
- 1/2 bottle red wine
- 3 whole scallions
- 4 slices ginger
For the Filling: After soaking rice overnight, drain out excess water. Steam, covered, over light heat until soft. Boil skinless chestnut in water until soft. In a large pan, saute shallots, ginger, Chinese sausage, and prosciutto, until shallots are soft and translucent. Add all remaining ingredients and spices. Mix well, making sure not to break the chestnuts. Stuff the duck. Sew back up tightly, wrap with string in 3 or 4 places.
For the Marinade for the Duck: Mix all ingredients very well together.
For the Duck: Pour boiling water over the entire duck. Remove and dry the duck. Rub the marinade into the skin and marinate 45 minutes turning frequently.
For the Wine and herb mixture, for steaming: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
When duck is golden brown remove it from hot oil submerge it in the wine and herb mixture. Place the whole vessel, duck and wine into steamer. Then steam for 2 hours in a covered pan. Serve with winter melon.