Hot Dogs a la Rose
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 handful shredded carrots, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (12-ounce) package hot dogs, sliced about 1/16-inch thick (recommended: Hebrew National)
- 1/4 cup water, if necessary
- Handful cilantro leaves, minced
Heat the canola oil, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, until shimmering.
Add the turmeric, garam masala and paprika, quickly stirring for about 20 seconds to keep the spices from burning. Stir in the tomatoes and ketchup, and taste for seasoning; add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Add hot dog rounds, stirring to cover them with the tomato mixture. Add 1/4 cup water if the mixture is too dry. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
Taste and season accordingly. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl. Serve!
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira, 2010