50 Party Subs
Food Network Magazine found a winning strategy for game day: Serve supersized sandwiches!
Use a large (22-to-25-inch) loaf of bread for these subs and hollow out the inside to make room for fillings.
1. French Dip Saute 1 minced garlic clove with 2 thyme sprigs in olive oil in a saucepan. Add 1 cup chicken broth and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce; bring to a simmer. Off the heat, add 1 pound sliced roast beef; toss. Spread a split baguette with creamy horseradish. Fill with the roast beef, shredded Gruyere and canned fried onions; spoon the broth on top.
2. Cubano Spread yellow mustard on a split soft loaf. Sandwich with 6 ounces each sliced roast pork, ham and Swiss cheese; add pickles. Brush the outside with melted butter and wrap in foil. Press between 2 baking sheets; weigh down with an ovenproof skillet. Bake at 425 degrees F, 20 minutes.
3. Philly Cheesesteak Cook 1 thinly sliced onion in olive oil in a skillet until slightly golden; season with salt and pepper. Remove the onion and add 1 pound shaved beef; cook until it starts browning, about 8 minutes. Add a few dashes each hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Pile the beef and onion on a split soft loaf; top with sliced cherry peppers and American cheese. Broil open-faced until the cheese melts.
4. Mushroom Philly Cheesesteak Make Philly Cheesesteak Sub (No. 3); instead of beef, saute four 6-ounce packages sliced mushrooms in olive oil until tender.
5. Middle Eastern Veggie Toss 2 pounds sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 425 degrees F until tender, 25 minutes. Mix 1/2 cup each plain Greek yogurt and crumbled feta with 1 teaspoon dried oregano; spread on one side of a toasted split soft loaf. Mix 1/2 cup roasted red pepper tapenade with a pinch of red pepper flakes; spread on the other side. Sandwich with the sweet potatoes, romaine leaves, sliced red onions and olives.
6. Grilled Veggie Spread a split soft loaf with garlic-and-herb cheese spread. Sandwich with assorted grilled vegetables; add some arugula and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.
7. California Marinate 2 cups quartered Campari tomatoes and 1 sliced red onion in 1/4 cup green goddess dressing, 20 minutes. Spread more dressing on a split sourdough loaf. Sandwich with the tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumbers, radishes, bell peppers, carrots and avocado, sprouts and kale chips (lightly salt each layer of vegetables).
8. Spinach-Artichoke Combine one 10-ounce box thawed frozen chopped spinach (squeezed dry), one 12-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts (drained) and 1/2 cup each cream cheese, mayonnaise, grated Monterey Jack, Parmesan and Swiss cheese in a food processor. Add 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 4 chopped scallions and 1 garlic clove. Puree; season with salt and pepper. Spread on a split sesame baguette; top with more artichokes and sliced Swiss cheese. Bake open-faced at 400 degrees F until the cheese melts.
9. Smoked Mozzarella-Artichoke Toss 2 cups each arugula and basil with 1/2 cup each chopped marinated artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers. Brush a split ciabatta loaf with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; sandwich with 8 ounces each sliced smoked mozzarella and mortadella and the artichoke mixture.
10. Barbecue Chicken Warm 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed) and one 15-ounce can barbecue baked beans in a saucepan. Sandwich on a split soft loaf with coleslaw, pickles and barbecue potato chips.
11. Buffalo Chicken Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup Buffalo hot sauce. Stir in 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed), 1 cup each shredded carrots and chopped celery, and 1/4 cup each chopped scallions and parsley. Spread a split soft loaf with blue cheese dressing; fill with the chicken mixture.
12. Spicy Fried Chicken Toss 3 cups shredded coleslaw mix with 1/2 cup ranch dressing. Spread more ranch dressing on a split soft loaf; fill with spicy fried chicken tenders, the slaw and pickles.
13. Jerk Chicken Saute 1 each sliced onion and bell pepper in vegetable oil. Stir in 1/4 cup each chutney, jerk paste and barbecue sauce; cook 2 minutes. Add 3 cups chopped grilled chicken, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and the juice of 1 lime; warm through. Pile on a split soft loaf with lettuce, banana peppers and pineapple.
14. Thai Chicken Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter, 1 tablespoon Sriracha and the juice of 2 limes. Add 2 cups each shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed) and iceberg lettuce, and 1/2 cup each sliced red onion and cilantro. Sandwich on a split baguette with sliced cucumbers and jalapenos.
15. Chicken Milanese Season 1 pound chicken cutlets with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs. Cook in vegetable oil, 2 minutes per side. Spread mayonnaise on a split Italian loaf; fill with the chicken, giardiniera, arugula and Parmesan.
16. Cordon Bleu Make Chicken Milanese cutlets (No. 15). Spread dijonnaise on a split baguette; top with the chicken and 3 ounces each sliced ham and Swiss cheese. Broil open-faced until the cheese melts.
17. Asian Chicken Make Chicken Milanese cutlets (No. 15) using panko. Toss 3 cups coleslaw mix, 1/4 cup each chopped scallions and pickled ginger, and 2 tablespoons each lime juice and ponzu sauce. Spread mayonnaise mixed with curry powder on one side of a split sesame loaf; spread katsu or teriyaki sauce on the other side. Fill with the chicken and slaw.
18. Chicken Parmesan Make Chicken Milanese cutlets (No. 15). Layer warmed marinara sauce, the chicken, more sauce and shredded mozzarella and Parmesan on a split Italian loaf; broil open-faced until the cheese melts.
19. Eggplant Parmesan Prepare 1 pound frozen breaded eggplant cutlets as the label directs. Layer warmed marinara sauce, the eggplant, more sauce and shredded mozzarella and Parmesan on a split Italian loaf; broil open-faced until the cheese melts.
20. Meatball Mix 1 pound ground beef, 1/2 cup each breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1 chopped garlic clove, and salt and pepper. Form into 1 1/2-inch balls. Brown in olive oil in a nonstick skillet, turning, 10 minutes; pour off the fat. Add 3 cups marinara sauce; simmer 30 minutes. Arrange on a split Italian loaf; top with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake open-faced at 400 degrees F until the cheese melts.
21. Pizza Spread marinara sauce on one side of 2 split 12-inch thawed frozen garlic bread loaves; top with 4 ounces each sliced pepperoni and mozzarella. Arrange 1/2 cup each sliced roasted red peppers and shredded Asiago on the other side. Bake open-faced at 400 degrees F, about 12 minutes; top with basil.
22. Mexican Chicken Spread mayonnaise mixed with Sriracha on one side of a split baguette; spread refried beans on the other side. Fill with 1 pound sliced grilled chicken; add tomatillo salsa, sliced avocado and radishes, shredded lettuce, grated Cotija cheese and sliced pickled jalapenos.
23. Mexican Chorizo Saute 2 cups sliced dried chorizo in a skillet until crisp. Make Mexican Chicken Sub (No. 22), replacing the mayonnaise with guacamole and the chicken with the chorizo. Omit the salsa and avocado.
24. Spicy Tofu Melt Mix 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream with 1 tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo; spread on a toasted split soft loaf. Top with 1 pound sliced baked tofu and 8 ounces sliced Muenster. Broil open-faced until the cheese melts. Sandwich with sliced tomatoes, radishes, avocado and red cabbage, and chopped pickled jalapenos.
25. Banh Mi Whisk 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; toss with 1 cup each halved and sliced cucumber, carrots and daikon, and 1 sliced Fresno chile. Spread pâté on one side of a toasted split soft loaf; spread mayonnaise on the other side. Sandwich with 1 1/2 pounds sliced turkey; add cilantro and the vegetables.
26. Pork Teriyaki Cook 2 pounds pork stir-fry strips in vegetable oil; remove. Add 4 cups stir-fry vegetables and 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce to the skillet; stir-fry until crisp-tender. Return the pork to the skillet; add 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Spread mayonnaise mixed with Sriracha on a toasted split sesame loaf; sandwich with the stir-fry, chopped cashews and scallions.
27. Korean BLT Sprinkle 16 bacon slices with 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder. Bake at 375 degrees F until crisp, 20 minutes. Spread mayonnaise on a split sesame loaf; sandwich with the bacon, drained kimchi, sliced tomatoes and lettuce.
28. Turkey BLAT Spread mayonnaise mixed with chopped chipotle in adobo on a split Italian loaf. Sandwich with 1 pound sliced turkey and 6 cooked thick-cut bacon slices; add sliced avocados and tomatoes, and lettuce.
29. Turkey Grinder Whisk 1 tablespoon each red wine vinegar and olive oil with a pinch of dried oregano; drizzle on one side of a split Italian loaf. Spread mayonnaise on the other side. Sandwich with 1 pound sliced turkey; add sliced tomatoes, pepperoncini and lettuce.
30. Prosciutto-Mozzarella Pulse 1/2 cup each sun-dried tomatoes and olive oil, 2 tablespoons capers, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes in a food processor. Spread on a split ciabatta loaf; sandwich with 8 ounces each prosciutto and sliced mozzarella. Add lettuce and basil.
31. Asian Tuna Salad Mix three 5-ounce cans tuna (drained), 2 tablespoons wasabi mayonnaise, 2 sliced scallions and 1 tablespoon each soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil and chopped pickled ginger. Layer sliced avocado and shredded carrots on a split sesame loaf; add the tuna salad.
32. Fried Bologna Cook 1 pound sliced bologna in vegetable oil until crisp around the edges. Spread ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise on a split soft loaf; fill with the bologna, sliced American cheese, onions, lettuce and pickles.
33. American Spread mayonnaise on a split soft loaf; sandwich with 10 ounces each sliced ham and turkey. Add sliced American cheese, tomatoes, pickles, red onion, lettuce and potato chips. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.
34. Italian Deli Toss 1 1/2 cups each arugula and shredded romaine and 1/2 cup each chopped green olives, basil and cherry peppers. Drizzle a split Italian loaf with balsamic vinaigrette. Fill with 8 ounces each sliced mortadella, capicola, soppressata and provolone; add red onion and the salad.
35. Italian Antipasti Whisk 1 tablespoon each red wine vinegar and olive oil with a pinch of dried oregano. Sandwich 6 ounces each sliced mortadella, spicy capicola and salami on a split semolina loaf. Top with sliced provolone, roasted red peppers and shredded iceberg lettuce; drizzle with the vinaigrette.
36. Roast Beef Whisk 1 tablespoon each red wine vinegar and olive oil with a pinch of dried oregano. Spread one side of a split Italian loaf with creamy horseradish. Sandwich with 12 ounces sliced roast beef and 1/3 pound sliced Havarti; add canned fried onions and arugula and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
37. Spicy Russian Roast Beef Make Roast Beef Sub (No. 36), omitting the vinaigrette and cheese. Instead of the horseradish, spread with 1/3 cup each ketchup and mayonnaise mixed with 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha.
38. Caesar Roast Beef Whisk 1/2 cup creamy Caesar dressing and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley; toss with 6 cups chopped romaine and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 2 split 12-inch loaves frozen garlic bread as the label directs; sandwich with 2 pounds sliced roast beef and the salad.
39. Reuben Spread Russian dressing on a split seeded baguette. Top with 1 1/2 pounds sliced corned beef, 1 1/2 cups drained sauerkraut and 8 ounces sliced caraway Havarti; bake open-faced at 400 degrees F until the cheese melts. Top with pickles.
40. New York Deli Spread yellow mustard on a split seeded baguette. Sandwich with 12 ounces each sliced pastrami and corned beef and 8 ounces sliced Jarlsberg; add dill pickles and sour cream-and-onion chips.
41. Sloppy Joe Saute 1 chopped onion in vegetable oil until softened. Add 1 1/2 pounds ground beef and 3 minced garlic cloves; brown the meat. Stir in 1 cup each water and ketchup and 2 teaspoons each mustard powder and chili powder; season with salt. Simmer 20 minutes. Pile on a toasted split soft loaf; top with sliced American cheese and fried potato sticks.
42. Curried Egg Salad Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder. Add 12 chopped hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 cup each chopped celery and shredded carrots, and 1/4 cup each chopped scallions and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Pile on a split soft loaf along with arugula and tomatoes.
43. Chicken Salad with Bacon Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup each sour cream, chopped parsley and sliced scallions, and 2 teaspoons chopped thyme. Add 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (skin removed) and 1 cup chopped celery; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich on a split soft loaf along with crumbled cooked bacon, sliced tomatoes and lettuce.
44. Chicago Hot Dog Cook 8 hot dogs (cut into thirds) in vegetable oil until golden. Add 2 sliced bell peppers and 1 sliced onion; cook until softened. Add 3 tablespoons jarred pepperoncini brine and 1 teaspoon dried oregano; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich on a split Italian loaf along with lettuce and sliced pepperoncini.
45. Smoked Sausage and Pub Cheese Grill 1 pound smoked sausage (halved lengthwise) until lightly charred. Spread spicy brown mustard on one side of a toasted split soft loaf; spread sharp cheddar pub cheese on the other side. Sandwich with the sausage, sauerkraut and sliced red onions.
46. Sausage and Peppers Cook 2 pounds Italian sausage links in olive oil; remove and halve lengthwise. Add 2 sliced bell peppers and 1 sliced onion to the skillet and cook until softened, 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich on a split Italian loaf along with the sausage and sliced pepperoncini.
47. Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Cook 2 pounds Italian sausage links in olive oil; remove and halve lengthwise. Add 1/4 cup olive oil to the skillet, then 3 minced garlic cloves; cook until golden. Add 1 bunch chopped broccoli rabe; season with salt. Cover and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Pile on a split Italian loaf along with the sausage. Top with sliced provolone; broil open-faced until the cheese melts.
48. Porchetta and Broccoli Rabe Rub 1 pork tenderloin with 1/2 teaspoon each red pepper flakes, crushed fennel seeds, dried oregano, minced garlic and kosher salt. Wrap with 8 slices prosciutto and rub with olive oil. Bake at 425 degrees F until a thermometer registers 140 degrees F, about 25 minutes. Let rest, then slice. Make Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Sub (No. 47), replacing the sausage with the pork.
49. Catfish Po' Boy Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning. Season 1 pound catfish fillets with salt and pepper; dredge in the flour mixture, then beaten egg, then cornmeal. Shallow-fry in vegetable oil, 2 minutes per side. Spread a split Italian loaf with mayonnaise and Creole mustard; sandwich with the catfish, pickles, sliced tomatoes, shredded lettuce and hot sauce.
50. Tuna Melt Mix four 5-ounce cans tuna (drained), 1/3 cup each chopped celery, scallions and herbed mayonnaise, and 2 tablespoons each relish, hot sauce and lemon juice; season with salt. Spread on one side of a split soft loaf; top with sliced Havarti. Broil open-faced until the cheese melts.