BBQ Grill Cubed Sirloin Steak with Jalapeno BBQ Sauce
- 1 pound (4 pieces) "cubed" sirloin steak
- 2 cups your favorite hickory smoked BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus 2 tablespoons, plus more oil for grill
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 kaiser rolls, split in half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 slices Cheddar
- Coleslaw and dill pickles, as an accompaniment
Pierce the steaks with a fork to make numerous holes.
In a medium bowl, mix BBQ sauce, scallions, garlic, rosemary, and jalapeno pepper. Remove 1/2 cup of mixture and reserve for rolls. Add 1/4 cup oil and the steaks to the bowl and let marinate for 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
Preheat grill to medium and oil grates.
Place steaks on the oiled grill and grill 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove steaks to a plate and set aside.
Rub grill with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill onions until desired char marks are made. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with melted butter and toast (or grill); set aside. Top each steak with 2 slices of cheese and some grilled onions. Place the steaks back on the grill, and cover until cheese is melted. Spread toasted buns with the 1/2 cup of reserved sauce, if desired, and place the steaks on the bottom half of the rolls. Cover with the top halves and serve with coleslaw and pickles.