Egg White and Frittata
- 2 medium sized zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- Olive oil, for grilling
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced pancetta, (6 slices)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 12 egg whites
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook until crisp. Add garlic and allow to cook until fragrant. Stir in the grilled zucchini, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Slightly beat egg whites in a large bowl and add to the pan. Turn the heat off, stir in the Swiss cheese and season with coarse salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until egg is set. Remove from the oven and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo, Jr.