Smokey Red Beans and Rice
- 8 ounces dried red beans
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small smoked ham hock
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, diced
- Steamed white rice, for serving
In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, add the beans, chicken and beef stock, onions, ham hock, green pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 2 hours.
In a medium saute pan over high heat, add the grapeseed oil. When the oil is hot, add the smoked sausage and brown evenly for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sausage to the pot with the beans. Continue simmering the beans until tender, about 20 minutes more. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve over hot rice.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron McCargo Jr.