Braised Lettuce and Peas
- 1 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 medium shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium heads butter lettuce, washed, core removed, leaves halved and thinly sliced crosswise (Boston or bibb)
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add shallots, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the top and cook until raw taste is gone, about 30 seconds. Add stock and bring to a boil. Stir in lettuce and peas, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lettuce and peas are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt or sour cream, if using. Taste, adjust seasoning as desired, and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp