- Cilantro-Ginger Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 splash red wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves, snipped with scissors
- Cauliflower Fritters:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus 6 cups for frying, divided
- 1 1/2 bottles beer, at room temperature
- 1 large head cauliflower, stemmed, broken into bite-size pieces, washed and thoroughly dried
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Water, for thinning
For the sauce: Put all of the ingredients into a bowl and toss to combine.
For the fritters: In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, turmeric and ground ginger. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and whisk in the beer. Set aside in a warm place because, like a bread dough, it will puff up slightly.
In a large pot, over medium heat, add the remaining 6 cups of canola oil and heat to 350 degrees F.
Prepare a baking sheet fitted with paper towels or a kitchen towel to drain the florets as they come out of the oil. Stir the batter slightly. To test the consistency of the batter and the temperature of the oil, put a couple of pieces of cauliflower on a slotted spoon or spider (Chef's Note: Alternatively, use your fingers), and submerge them into the batter. It should coat the pieces lightly. (Chef's Note: If the batter is too thick, add a little water to thin it out. If the batter is too thin, sift and whisk in a little more flour.)
Test 1 piece of cauliflower to check for seasoning. Drain the excess batter and lower the cauliflower bite into the oil. It should bubble slightly and the cauliflower should gradually rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown on all sides and transfer the piece to a kitchen towel. Season with salt and, when cool enough, taste. Season the remaining uncooked cauliflower with salt, if desired, prior to dredging in the batter. Fry the cauliflower in small batches and drain on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt, if desired, and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the Cilantro-Ginger Sauce and serve immediately.