- 9 1/2 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour, approximately 2 cups*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 ounces sugar, approximately 1 cup
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature, approximately 3/4 cup
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups lentil puree, recipe follows
- 3 1/2 ounces rolled oats, approximately 1 cup
- 4 ounces dried fruit, approximately 1 cup
- 2 1/4 ounces unsweetened dried shredded coconut, approximately 1 cup
- Lentil Puree:
- 4 ounces lentils, approximately 2/3 cup, picked over and rinsed
- 2 cups water
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
In the bowl of a stand-mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together the sugar and butter on medium speed. Add the egg and mix until just incorporated. Add the vanilla and lentil puree and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture and blend on low speed until just combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the oats, dried fruit and coconut.
Form the dough into balls about 2 teaspoons in size and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving about 1-inch of room in between. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 195 degrees F is reached on an instant-read thermometer.Lentil Puree:
In a small pot over medium heat, combine the lentils and the water. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and puree. If using immediately, let cool. The puree may be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups lentil puree
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006