Seaside Squid Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds squid, tubes and tentacles
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped and seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Thoroughly rinse the squid under cold water and pat dry. Cut the tentacles in half lengthwise. Cut the bodies in half lengthwise as well and then into 1/2-inch wide pieces. Set aside.
Over high heat, bring 1/2 inch of water to a boil in a 6-quart saucepan. Decrease the heat in order to maintain a simmer. Place the squid in a steamer basket and gently set over the simmering water. Cover and steam for 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the steamer basket from the pot and plunge the squid into ice water to stop the cooking. Remove from the water and drain thoroughly. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper. Add the squid, tomato, onion, capers and cilantro and toss until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.