- 80 corn tortilla chips, approximately 8 ounces
- 3 to 4 jalapenos, thinly sliced*
- 4 1/2 ounces diced red onion, approximately 1 cup
- 6 ounces finely grated Cheddar, approximately 2 1/4 cups
- 6 ounces finely grated Oaxaca cheese, approximately 2 1/4 cups
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 cups fresh salsa
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups guacamole
*Cook's Note: Depending on your heat preference, you may remove the seeds from the jalapenos or leave them intact.
Set 1 of the oven racks on the lowest shelf and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Make 8 (2-inch) balls out of aluminum foil. Spray 3 wire cooling racks with non-stick cooking spray and place 1 of the aluminum balls in each of the corners of 2 of the racks.
Lay 1/3 of the chips on one of the racks. Top each chip with a jalapeno slice and sprinkle the chips with 1/3 of the red onions, and 1/3 of both the Cheddar and Oaxaca cheeses. Repeat with the remaining chips and the other 2 racks. Stack the racks on top of one another and set into the parchment lined baking pan. Bake in the oven on the bottom rack for 7 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble. Sprinkle with fresh oregano. Serve immediately with the salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2006
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence