How to make nachos:
Spread 8 cups of chips on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow dish. Add cheese and other toppings, then bake at 475 degrees F in the upper third of the oven until melted, about 7 minutes.
1. Tex-Mex Top tortilla chips with 1 can refried beans and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with salsa and pickled jalapenos.
2. Double Decker Make Tex-Mex Nachos (No. 1), but make 2 layers. Bake, then top with warm jarred nacho cheese sauce, salsa and pickled jalapenos.
3. Cajun Top tortilla chips with 3 cups shredded cheddar, 1 pound cooked diced andouille sausage and 1 cup each diced green bell pepper, celery and onion. Bake, then top with salsa and pickled jalapenos.
4. Jerk Pork Rub 1 pound pork tenderloin with 1/4 cup jerk seasoning; grill, then chop. Top tortilla chips with the pork, 1 cup diced pineapple and 3 cups shredded pepper jack. Bake, then top with sliced fresh jalapenos, cilantro and lime juice.
5. Bacon and Egg Make Tex-Mex Nachos (No. 1), adding 1 pound crumbled cooked bacon with the beans; crack 4 eggs on top. Bake until the whites set, 10 minutes. Top with sliced scallions and salsa.
6. Breakfast Migas Make Tex-Mex Nachos (No. 1). Meanwhile, scramble 6 eggs in butter, adding 1/4 cup each salsa and pickled jalapenos. Toss the nachos with the eggs and top with cilantro.
7. Greek Top 4 cups pita chips with 1 cup each hummus, diced cucumber, tomatoes and feta, 1/4 cup each chopped red onion and kalamata olives, some tzatziki and oregano. (Do not bake.)
8. BBQ Chicken Bring 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup water to a simmer. Add 4 cups shredded cooked chicken; heat through. Top tortilla chips with the chicken and 3 cups shredded cheddar. Bake, then top with chopped scallions.
9. Buffalo Chicken Make BBQ Chicken Nachos (No. 8) with wing sauce instead of barbecue sauce. Strain the chicken (reserving the sauce), and spread over ranch-flavored tortilla chips with the cheddar. Omit the scallions. Top with blue cheese, chopped celery and the reserved wing sauce.
10. Chicken Mole Make BBQ Chicken Nachos (No. 8) with mole sauce instead of barbecue sauce, and a mix of mozzarella and cotija cheese instead of cheddar. Omit the scallions. Top with sour cream and pepitas.
We piled on the toppings to make the ultimate game-day snack.
How to make nachos: