Bistecca alla Florentine with Balsamic-Rosemary Steak Sauce and Grilled Treviso with Gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more drizzling
- 2 tablespoons olive, plus more drizzling
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 porterhouse steaks, about 2 pounds each and 1 1/2-inches thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Balsamic-Rosemary Steak Sauce, recipe follows
- 2 heads Treviso
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola
- Fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Special equipment: 1 cup almond or cherry wood chips, soaked for 30 minutes
- Balsamic-Rosemary Steak Sauce:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 large red bell peppers, grilled, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Whisk together the oils, garlic and rosemary in a large baking dish. Add the steaks and turn to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling and let sit at room temperature.
Heat a grill to high heat for direct grilling. Add the soaked wood chips to the charcoal or put the wood chips in a smoker box and add to a gas grill. Close the lid and let heat for 5 minutes. Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides liberally with the salt and pepper. Grill until charred on both sides and cooked to medium-rare doneness, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from the grill, drizzle with a little of the Balsamic-Rosemary Steak Sauce and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
While steaks are grilling, brush the Treviso with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until slightly charred on all sides and just beginning to wilt. Transfer to a platter, fan out the leaves, drizzle with a little balsamic, extra-virgin olive oil and crumble over the gorgonzola. Top with slices of the steak and drizzle with more steak sauce. Garnish with parsley leaves.Balsamic-Rosemary Steak Sauce:
Combine the balsamic vinegar, garlic and rosemary in a small saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove the rosemary and let cool to room temperature.
Place the peppers, honey, horseradish, molasses, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and some of the cooled balsamic mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth. Season with the salt and pepper. Taste, and add more of the balsamic reduction as desired. Yield: 3 cups.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Stuffed Pasta, Sorrentine Style: Cannelloni alla Sorrentina, Florentine Mac and Cheese and Roast Chicken Sausage Meatballs, Pizza Alla Napoletana, London Broil Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.