Couscous with Orange and Almonds
- 2 cups instant couscous
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented and diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 head radicchio, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted slivered almonds
Put the couscous in a large bowl, add the 2 cups boiling water, 1 teaspoon salt and orange zest, then cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and fluff with a fork.
Whisk together the orange juice, vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Add half of the dressing to the couscous along with the onion, orange, mint and parsley and gently combine with a fork.
Put the radicchio in a bowl, add the remaining dressing and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the couscous to a large platter, top with the radicchio and garnish with slivered almonds.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay