Spanish Chorizo, Kale and Cranberry Bean Soup with Oven-Dried Tomato-Garlic Toast
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, cut into
- 1/4 -inch-thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces kale, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups dried cranberry beans or pinto beans, soaked overnight
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Oven Dried Tomato Toast:
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick horizontally
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 12 slices of French baguette, sliced into 1/3-inch thick slices on the bias
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until lightly golden brown and the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chorizo to a paper-towel lined plate and pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat. (The amount of fat will vary depending on the chorizo that is used. If your chorizo does not render at least 2 tablespoons of fat, then add olive oil.) Add the garlic, carrots, celery and onions to the fat and cook over medium heat until soft, 8 to 9 minutes. Add the kale and cook until slightly wilted, 2 minutes. Add the stock, wine and salt; cover and bring to a boil. Add the cranberry beans and cooked chorizo; lower the heat to a simmer and cook until the beans and kale are soft, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place tomatoes in the oven and bake in the oven for 6 to 8 hours or until the tomatoes are dried and have lost all of their moisture. Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add garlic, remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Increase the heat in the oven to 350 degrees. Brush the bread on both sides with the garlic oil. Place a slice of tomato on each piece of bread, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with some of the oregano. Bake in the oven for 5 to10 minutes, until the bread is lightly golden brown.
From Food Network Kitchens; after further testing and to ensure the best results this recipe has been altered from what was in the actual episode.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.