Bowties with Italian Sausage in a Cream Basil Sauce
- 3 cups bowtie pasta
- 1 19 oz pkg Johnsonville® Sweet Italian Sausage (casings removed)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 28 oz. plum tomatoes (Italian style, drained and coarsely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups cight cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- *garnish w/ a sprinkle of fresh basil or shaved parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 8-10 minutes, or until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add decased sausage to skillet and crumble with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add red pepper flakes and continue sauteing until sausage is no longer pink. Add onion and garlic to skillet and continue until onion softens. Stir in tomatoes and salt, (if using fresh tomatoes saute them for 3 minutes until softened) then add light cream and parmesan cheese; simmer gently until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes). Stir in the cooked pasta and basil and heat through, about 3 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.