Summer Squash Fritters: Kolokethokeftaide
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 3/4 cup, for frying
- 1 pound summer squash, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons grated Kasseri,
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cups panko or bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, for frying
In a large saute pan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil on medium high heat. Sweat the squash and the onion together until very soft.
In a food processor, puree the squash mixture. Drain well to get out extra moisture. Put in a bowl with cheese, butter, bread crumbs, eggs, scallions, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Let it stand for 1 hour, refrigerated.
Roll into about 2-inch balls. Lightly dredge in the flour and fry in the remaining olive oil and butter until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy Cat Cora
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira