Chilled Beet Soup with Chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar or raspberry vinegar
- 2 (15-ounce cans) sliced beets with liquid
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives and sour cream
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add carrots and onion. Cover; cook over medium low heat until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add vinegar, cover and cook until vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes longer, or until the vinegar has reduced. Working in batches, add beets with their liquid, honey, and carrot mixture to blender. Puree. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead, covered and chilled.)
To serve, ladle into bowls or mugs. Top with chives and sour cream.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.